Aradhna compiled an album of Nepali songs, Himalchuli: Spiritual Songs from Nepal (2009). Aradna’s lead singer and musician, Chris Hale, grew up in Nepal and studied sitar in India. The songs are folk songs and “bhajans” (devotional hymns), a fusion of east and west, sitar and guitar, tabla and drum kit.
Many of the songs are Nepali folk hymns arranged by Aradhna. The style and message fit a Hindu context but have been appreciated by Nepali and Western audiences wherever I’ve sung them with guitar.
The CD can be ordered at www.aradhnamusic.com. Aradhna makes the album available for free to those working with Bhutanese refugees. You can also compile the individual tracks from other albums. I listed the songs below with their original albums. Some of the songs are attributed to Olio, the band Hale formed before Aradhna. You can find song lyrics and loose translations listed with the original albums on Aradhna’s discography page.
- “Prabhu Ji,” Aparampar by Olio
- “Na Socha,” Deep Jalé by Aradhna
- “Himalchuli,” Aparampar by Olio
- “Khola Khola Dhoka,” Aparampar by Olio
- “Ishwarle,” Marga Darshan by Aradhna
- “Aayo Hai Aayo,” Amrit Vani by Aradhna
- “Lo Suna Saathi,” Marga Darshan by Aradhna
- “Surulurulu,” Aparampar by Olio
- “Prabhu Ko Darshan,” Marga Darshan by Aradhna
- “Ishwarle (Live),” Satsang by Aradhna
Aradhna also recorded a traditional Nepali Christmas song, “Herana,” on a later album, Namaste Saté (2011).